Wednesday 20 August 2014

Mistakes


Drawing is a great outlet, I find it therapeutic and mesmerising, it's a gigantic time sink hidden in a sketch book.

Whether you enjoy drawing or just use it for practical purposes, it's an essential tool into the world of observation. It's helped me see things that I didn't even know existed.

I read somewhere, and I regret that I can't remember where, but I live by "No line is a bad line". Meaning, that even when you draw a line you are unhappy with you can learn from it, and to be honest, you can use this and apply it to everything in life. When I've made a choice in animation that doesn't work, I've learnt from one of my tutors to log it, so you can use it when it is appropriate in the future. For example, this part of the animation looks creepy and it should feel relaxed, rather then stiff. So we can use that comment, okay, so this is how something creepy looks, I know now when I get a creepy character to animate, I can use it! There's no such thing as a wasted effort. Which makes all these creative endeavors even better!

Also, I just wanted to point you guys to Aaron Blaise's YouTube channel, the drawing and painting tips he is giving away for free are insan. I'm currently working my way through them and they are so informative, anything from colour theory to painting fur. He tries to angle everything towards all kinds of artists, drawers, painters, photographers, animators and more. Check him out here. He also has a great website full of his paintings and tutorials here.

So be sure to explore, play, have fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes, they are the most important bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, please come back again soon :D